2009/2/4

Tina (C1 - Ice Breaker)

"Work and life balance" was my life attitude until I took the position of Learning and Development Manager in PricewaterhouseCoopers Taiwan. I am Tina Huang and I would like to introduce myself with four parts, family, education, work and life.

I was born in a middle class family. I am the eldest child with one younger sister and one little brother. My sister currently studies in Tong-Hua University for her PhD in Chinese Literature. My brother just graduated from Ching-Hua University with his Master Degree in Power Mechanical Engineering. My parents are both retired now. They put high emphasis on learning English. For example, they hired in-house English tutors for practicing English conversation every week when I was ten years old for couple of years. I guess that’s why I am not afraid of speaking English and built up the dream of studying aboard.

After graduating from Providence University with double majors of English Literature and Linguistic, and Tourism Management, I went to Hawaii for my MBA in Finance. Those two years were wonderful; I studied hard and played hard. I actively participated in activities and community service of Graduate Students' Organization and Rotary Club and graduated with GPA 3.67. Just one more A, I would have gotten the Distinguish Student. I am still a little bit sorry for that.

Right after coming back from Hawaii, I worked for two listed companies in fields of corporate finance and investment finance for three years. However, I found I didn't like to deal with figures and money, especially when I had to write a report supporting a bad merge and acquisition decision or to draw a fantasy vision for investors to buy stocks. Therefore I made an important decision of transferring my career from Finance to Education.

In my opinions, no matter who you are, once you have the opportunity to learn you have the chance to create a better life. It's been four years since when. I contributed two years for International Human Resource Development of International Cooperation and Development Fund under Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Now I am here. You might think, wao, what a big change. Weren't those three years in Finance waste? No, my experience of those three years became one essential capability to apply the job in PwC. The most important is I met my husband at my first job.

During my leisure time, I like to travel, see movies, read books, watch drama, practice yoga and meditate. Some of them are relative to my religion. I am a Chinese Buddhist, which means I believe in Buddha and Tao. I enjoy learning and experiencing the truth and the fact of life. For example, I read scripture and books discussing spirit. I visited historical scenery and temples when I traveled in Taiwan, China, Thailand, Malaysia, Japan and England. I went to Northern Thailand to be volunteer teacher after I get married. Via those experiences, I felt fulfilled and peaceful.

It takes time for retreat, for communicating with the inner me. However, it's been quite a long time that I have been too busy to have sufficient time doing so. If you ask me, what's your biggest wish now? I would say I want to have more time for myself, my family and my unborn kids, because I want to find my work-life balance back.

沒有留言: