2009/2/3

AC103 Creating Structures

Facilitator: Bill Turpin
2009/2/3 & 2/10, 2000-2100


Structures promote professionalism. (ICF have the policies and structures on its website.) Structures protect the coaching session and free me out for what I really want to do. We want the structures to eliminate the distraction of the coaching moments.

Discussion
Q: What does the word "structure" mean to you? What do you feel? What if there is no structure in your life, what could happen?

- Everything in you life, there is a structure to support your commitment.
- Structures are there to support you but you have to commit.

Q: What's the difference between standard and boundary?
- Standards are for me, which describe what my clients expect for me
- Boundary are for others, which describe my expectation to clients

Q: What could a client expect working with me?
- Confidentiality (a truth comes in a safe environment); how do they know that? I tell them, it's part of structure, my standard and professionalism
- Be there once the session is scheduled
- No judgmental
- Patient listener

Q: What happens when the confidentiality is violated? What are your following steps?
Ask client to tell you when it happens and tell you how to make it right, because we would not want to make the mistake twice.

Q: What do you expect from your clients?
- turn the cell phone off in the coaching session, unless they have emergency situation
- In what manner you want to be paid? When and how?

Q: How do your clients know your expectations?
Tell them your policies and procedures. We want to make sure that we do not work on the assumptions. For example, for a coaching session, who calls who? How long we wait for the call? We need to communicate upfront for no misunderstanding and assumptions. Create FAQ, policies and structures.

Q: If you make an agreement that they have to pay before the session? But if they did not pay, what would you do?
- Ask the client pay first politely then begin the coaching session.
- I prefer them to pay me in advance and if they pay me in advance they have discount.
- "Show me the money."
- "Help me to help you."

Q: There are two types of coaching, official (face to face) and non-official (telephone) ones? Is there any different of the structures between these two?
It's an excellent question. Majority coaching now is phone to phone (60%). It depends on your niches, which affect your coaching structures. Which one you think is more effective for you! We could do face to face and phone to phone at the same time. Make it an option for your client.

Q: Which niche you think is more suitable for face to face coaching?
- get the person out of the office, a different environment / a coaching environment
- relationship coaching is good for face to face (for couples)
- anger management coaching
- wellness coaching sometimes

Q: What if client call us between the coaching session?
Bill's example: extra time could be the service since they have hired us. Sometimes we even need to force clients to call us when they are in difficult.
- They could call me 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. Provide them the direct number, if I could not get it I would get it back right away.
- If you are drunk in the bar and if no one takes you home, call me and I would come to get you.
- Get out of the dark day. Sailing with a client for an outdoor activity – one on one coaching and take a break from office.

Reference
Put on some structures example under Bill Turpin's name.

沒有留言: